World Pneumonia Day, marked every year on 12 November, is an annual forum that brings together the world and demand action in the fight against Pneumonia.This day helps to highlight the severity of pneumonia and encourages more organisations to look at ways of combating the disease. Pneumonia is a solvable disease in the world but still it prevails. Therefore, it is necessary to aware the people about treating and preventing Pneumonia.
Lets know what is Pneumonia and what are its symptoms, causes, treatments and preventions.
WHAT IS PNEUMONIA?
Pneumonia is an inflammatory infection in the lungs that primarily affects the small air sacs known as alveoli. The alveoli fills with fluid or pus, making it difficult to breathe. Pneumonia can be of many types based on type of germs and location.
Pneumonia can be classified according to the types of germ and the place where it is acquired. It can be classified according to the organism that causes the infection as:
- Bacterial Pneumonia : Pneumonia can be transmitted by bacteria such as Streptococcus pneumoniae, Chlamydophila pneumonia and Legionella .
- Viral Pneumonia : Respiratory viruses are primarily the cause of Viral Pneumonia. Such Pneumonia is not serious and lasts for a shorter period of time.
- Fungi Pneumonia : Fungi can also the cause of Pneumonia, for the ones who inhale large amounts of organisms. This type of Pneumonia can lead to weak immune system.One kind of such pneumonia is called Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP).
Further, Pneumonia can also be classified according to where it was acquired, viz:
- Hospital-acquired Pneumonia : This type of Pneumonia is acquired while a hospital stay and can be very serious, due to the more antibiotic- resistant bacteria.
- Community-acquired Pneumonia : This kind of Pneumonia can be acquired outside of a medical or institutional setting.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF PNEUMONIA?
Symptoms of Pneumonia may vary from being severe or mild. Signs and symptoms of Pneumonia may include :
- Severe fever
- Chest pain when you cough or breathe
- Nausea and vomitting
- Shortness of breath or fast heartbeat
- Shaking chills
- Cough with phlegm
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF PNEUMONIA?
- Breathing infected particles in the lungs
- Viral Respiratory infection such as influenza
- As complication of diseases such as measles or chickenpox
- Having a medical condition that affects your ability to swallow
All these causes can also be considered as the risk factors of Pneumonia. Some other risk factors of Pneumonia are :
- Dementia, Stroke
- Recent surgery or trauma
- Surgery to treat cancer of mouth, neck or throat
- Chronic lung disease
- Immune system problem
HOW CAN WE DIAGNOSE PNEUMONIA?
If you are suffering from Pneumonia, the doctor will examine the condition of your lungs depending on how severe or mild the Pneumonia is. The Diagnosis test recommended by the doctor may include:
HOW CAN WE TREAT PNEUMONIA?
Pneumonia can be treated depending upon the type of Pneumonia you are suffering from. Treatment for pneumonia involves curing the infection and preventing complications.
- Treatment for Community-acquired Pneumonia can be done by medications at home.
- Specific treatments may depend upon the severity of Pneuomia which may include intake of various antibiotics, cough medicines or fever relievers.
- You may be hospitalized that depends upon the age and the condition of the person which may include respiratory therapy, intravenous antibiotics and oxygen therapy.
HOW CAN WE PREVENT PNEUMONIA?
The preventive measures that can be opted in order to reduce the risk or Pneumonia are:
- Get plenty of rest : Proper sleep is a key to healthy life. Ensure enough sleep.
- Stay hydrated : Drink plenty of fluids, especially water, to help loosen mucus in your lungs.
- Pneumonia Vaccine : Immunize with the vaccine to prevent flu, which can help you prevent Pneumonia.
- Quit Smoking
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes, and dispose of used tissues promptly.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Staying fit and healthy should be the really motive of your life. Ensuring yourself disease-free should be the primal task of your life.To consult the best doctor in order to be diagnosed and to be treated well, you can consult Dr. Ravi Malik, Radix Healthcare.